- You can tell people that you are an expert
- Other people can say you are an expert through testimonials, case studies, endorsements, etc.
- Or you can demonstrate that you are an expert.
A blog provides the perfect platform to demonstrate your expertise on a regular basis. Plus, a blog provides a platform to share testimonials, case studies, articles of other people you have worked with and what they are saying about you. .
Regularly publishing content demonstrates consistency over time and builds trust!
- Each piece of content demonstrates expertise– Each piece of content should be unique, focus on one topic, is useful and creates urgency. Each piece of content created on a daily and weekly basis demonstrates your knowledge on the topic and establishes your expertise.
- Creating different types of content– Content can come in many forms from articles, videos, mp3’s, podcasts, infographics, photos and images. The reality is creating one type of content, such as articles, can establish your expertise. Creating multiple types of content allows you to connect with people in the different ways that people learn audio, visual and kinetically.
- The entire body of content as a whole -As you create content, the entire body of content further establishes expertise. One article about a topic can reflect what you know. Having twenty, fifty, seventy-five or one hundred pieces of content about a topic undeniably demonstrates your knowledge.
2. Builds traffic over time. Traffic doesn’t have to consist of many people visiting your site. It can be just a few select people who are interested in your content, you as in individual, or your expertise and who can pay for your skills, products, and services. Traffic needs to be targeted to the people you want to attract and whom you can help.
- Organic traffic– Creating content can eventually bring organic traffic to your website. Organic traffic is when search engines start linking to your individual pieces of content, people share the content on social media, through email, on their websites along with other methods that lead people to visit your site.
- Paid Traffic – Paid traffic is like paying for word of mouth advertising. Buying media combined with creating content is one of the fastest ways to build an audience
- Syndicating Content to Other Sites and Blogs– Articles can be syndicated to other blogs and article sharing sites. Videos can be uploaded to video sharing sites. All of this creates traffic on the author’s website via backlinks from sharing the content on the other sites.
- Sharing Content– Thought leaders sharing your content exposes your expertise to new audiences. Plus, when someone shares content on their site, there is an implied endorsement. This builds trust with the thought leader’s audience faster than promoting the content to a cold audience. Content can be shared on their blog, email, or social media channels. As the relationship grows, you can partner with the thought leader by speaking at events, and co-authoring content together, such as books and courses, plus you can receive referrals.
- Guest posting on other sites – Guest posting is like the thought leader sharing your content, except the content is either created for their site specifically, or one of your articles has been repurposed for the thought leader’s site. Guest posting can lead to becoming a regular contributor on the site and being listed as one of the site’s experts.
- Podcast Interviews– Podcast interviews are like guest posting, except you are interviewed on a podcast. Some people believe you can connect with new audiences faster on a podcast than writing guest posts and articles. Personally, I believe both podcast interviews and guest posting provide opportunities to connect with an audience that can increase traffic on your blog.
- Premium Content Creation– Another way to connect with a thought leader’s audience is to create premium content for the site. This can be a 60-90 minute live webinar for paid customers such as in a membership site, a social media group, writing a chapter in a book, or some other content cross-promotion.
Are you building your email list?
Did you know that email is one of the most profitable marketing channels? According to the Direct Marketing Association for small businesses in the United States, every dollar invested in email marketing yields $44.25.
Start building your email list today.